[TUHS] pre-more pager?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Nov 10 06:53:02 AEST 2017

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Will Senn wrote:

>>     < filename head -20
>>
> too bad head doesn't exist on v7. I did have to look up the incantation
> in Intro to the Shell by Bourne, that's fascinating stuff and it still
> works on my mac - nuts!

If you're interviewing a new hire, see how long it takes 'em to work out
what this does:

     :; </etc/motd> /dev/tty sed 1q ;: echo "Hello, world"

Tested on all shells at my disposal; might even work on V7.  Did I mention
that I use Perl, and used to use APL\360?  The only reason I don't write
obfuscated code is that I might be the one who has to maintain it later...