[TUHS] pre-more pager?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Fri Nov 10 10:15:12 AEST 2017

On 11/9/2017 3:53 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> If you're interviewing a new hire, see how long it takes 'em to work
> out what this does:
>
>     :; </etc/motd> /dev/tty sed 1q ;: echo "Hello, world"

For me, there are other criteria for hiring than telling me what some
obscure string of stuff will do.

It's more important that they can take the above or something similar
and shorten/simplify it to:

head -1 /etc/motd
or
sed 1q < /etc/motd

Because I just ran the above on a few different platforms, and they all
just give the first line of /etc/motd, which I expected.

I might be missing something :P - but having them solve a problem the
shortest way possible is more in my interests.

art k.

PS: I've been in interviews where I was given something like that. A
notable one was NYNEX Science and Technology. One of the sysadmins
interviewing me asked about some obscure command or maybe an option, in
SunOS. My answer was "well, I don't remember that, having already worked
with SunOS for a few years, but see that row of manuals behind you? I
bet I can find it in there quick enough". I did, within a minute or two.
I got the consulting gig.

--

Again, no disrespect intended.