[TUHS] OK, no more 80 cols please

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sun Nov 12 19:18:41 AEST 2017

On Sunday, November 12, 2017, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2017, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
> I would kill for a semi-modern terminal in an ADM3a/5 type chassis.
>> Something about the late 70s pastel googie BakeLite look I just dig.
>>

> Seeing as we're talking about old Unix-y terminals, the ADM-3a was
> certainly one of my favourites; there was something about the keyboard
> layout that just screamed out "Unix".  Was it the unshifted "=" key?  The
> unshifted "[]" keys?  Can't remember now, but C programming was a breeze
> with it.
>
> Another favourite was the Teleray 1061, with user-programmable function
> keys; yes, we were dumb enough to store our username/password there...
>
> The *worst* terminal I've ever had to use was the VT-220 and its clones; I
> was always having to hunt'n'peck for common keys.  I still loathe it.

Because you need LK421 UNIX keyboard[1] for those.  Pretty rare these days,
but I have several of them in NOS quality stashed, just in case one of them
breaks.

My personal favorite is definitely VT220 -- very "modern" shape, small and
portable even for todays standards (12" tube), and the built-in font is
just perfect.  Did I mention beautiful scanlines?  You won't find them on
PC CRT monitors.

--Andy

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LK421