[TUHS] OK, no more 80 cols please

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 20:58:10 AEST 2017

Hi Dave,

> the ADM-3a was certainly one of my favourites

Mine too;  my first.  Spent longer with the ADM 11 though, after it,
including an amber model, rather than the vulgar green.  I ended up in
France a few years later with some Silicon Graphics machines, but not
enough of them for the planned Mongolian hoard.  I suggested serial
terminals, like the old days, a batch of redundant ones were sent over
the Channel, and there was my old amber one, that I promptly reclaimed.

> there was something about the keyboard layout that just screamed out
> "Unix".

Bill Joy used an ADM 3A when writing vi.  That gave hjkl for cursor
movement because they were the cursor keys on the 3A.  And `~' shares
with HOME so I guess he used it for writing csh too.  :-)

> The *worst* terminal I've ever had to use was the VT-220 and its
> clones

Yes, awful.  The guy I faced over the desk had one and used VMS;  they
suited one another.  Not the guy, the terminal and OS.  It did mean he
could provide access to nethack though.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy