[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Nov 16 05:01:38 AEST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> Tom Almy's version,

​I'd forgotten Tom was a teco guy.   I'm not sure what happened too it, but
at some point Tom and I got the RT11 version (which was in Macro-11
assembler) running in V7 @ Tektronix ​before we had vi. Tom was the biggest
user at that point.  I was running something Phil Karn had brought to CMU
from Cornell (and I took to Tektronix) called 'fred' (friendly ed) which
had compiled in terminal support. Fred supported glass tty's; which is why
I liked it even though I knew teco & emacs from my 10's days.   Mark Bales
came up from Berkeley later that summer and brought 1BSD/2BSD with him
(that's when I learned csh and reprogrammed my fingers to the current rom
configuration).  Gosling Emacs for UNIX does not show up until we started
running Vaxen and had the address space, so at the time it was ed, fred,
vi, teco on the 11s.