[TUHS] Determining what was on a tape back in the day

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Sun Nov 19 09:16:19 AEST 2017

> On 18 Nov 2017, at 23:37, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017, Don Hopkins wrote:
>
> (LISTREVERSE}
>
>> Chalk one up for DEC and BASIC. What other programming languages support that feature, huh?
>
> You could probably do it in APL; you could do damned well everything else after all...[*]

If you LISTREVERSE’ed a Lisp program, it would look like PostScript with parens!

>> LISTREVERSE and LISTNHREVERSE print the contents of the user's memory area in order of descending line numbers. LISTREVERSE precedes the output with a heading, LISTNHREVERSE eliminates the heading.
>
> Why on earth would you want to?

I have been wondering about that for years.

Here’s the manual! LISTREVERSE is documented on page 9-3. Maybe if I printed out the "READERS COMMENTS" form at the back of the manual, wrote my question in big upper case block letters, then ticked the "If you require a written reply, please check here” checkbox, then “Fold Here” and “Do Not Tear - Fold Here and Staple” as instructed, I could mail in the free first class pre-addressed, business reply mail, no postage stamp necessary if mailed inside the United States envelope, and they’d write me back a nice letter telling me what the fuck they were thinking.

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/www.computer.museum.uq.edu.au/pdf/DEC-20-LBMAA-A-D%20BASIC%20User%27s%20Guide.pdf <http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/www.computer.museum.uq.edu.au/pdf/DEC-20-LBMAA-A-D%20BASIC%20User's%20Guide.pdf>

-Don