[TUHS] A man easter-egg (gimme gimme gimme)

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 09:07:18 AEST 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Edouard KLEIN <edouardklein at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> An easter-egg in the version of man that is installed on the most popular
> Linux distros has recently been discovered after being there for 6 years:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/405783/why-does-
> man-print-gimme-gimme-gimme-at-0030
>
> It is for example discussed here:
>
> It makes man print 'gimme gimme gimme' if called at "Half past twelve", as
> in the ABBA song.
>
> I check on BSD, but man seems to be a shell script on FreeBSD, so it's
> immune from the easter egg:
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/usr.bin/man/man.sh
>
> Do you have any UNIX easter-egg stories ? Putting some in, or discovering
> one...
>
> Was this kind of humor tolerated in the professional settings where UNIX
> first circulated, or was it frowned upon ?

I remember back in the late 90's, the man page for syslogd had a section
about dealing with network attacks on syslogd servers; several approaches
described, the last one reading something like

....if all else fails, find a three for length of sucker rod* and have a
> discussion with the user.

 *Sucker rod: 3/4 threaded steel rod, used in oil drilling.

It looks like someone edited it out of the man pages since then.

-- Charles