[TUHS} Running V8 ...

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Oct 18 00:30:57 AEST 2017

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47:53PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> Don Hopkins <don at DonHopkins.com> wrote:
> >
> > I love the OpenFirmware ???L1-A Forth??? built into SparcStations. It has
> > the ???SEE??? word, that decompiles FORTH words and disassembles FORTH
> > primitives. You can start with ???SEE SEE???, and then recursively climb
> > down and see each of the words and primitives that defines it, or
> > anything else!
>
> Nice. OpenFirmware was also used in PowerMacs and in IBM POWER systems.
> I thought it was a great shame that Intel didn't adopt OpenFirmware but
> instead created EFI.

You and me both.  I always thought forth was a little weird, not bad
weird, just weird.  But I had worked on a forth system before, done
some programming in it, so I could deal.

But when I met EFI I yearned for the good old forth boot proms :(

My guess is that Mitch wanted too much money for Intel to go for it,
Intel is super super cheap.