/bin/true (was [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix)

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Oct 20 08:04:00 AEST 2017

> I've also seen /bin/true and /bin/false (I've often been tempted to write "/bin/maybe" to introduce a little non-determinism) as *separate binaries* i.e. not even linked.

/bin/maybe goes well with the motd that says “You might have mail.”     I told one of my student programmers that he could put that in the motd and I guaranteed that within an hour someone would come in and tell me that he checked and he didn’t have mail.    Sure enough one of my senior programmers came in and said “It said I might have mail and I didn’t have any.”    I pointed out it only said “might.”