[TUHS] /bin/true (was basic tools / Universal Unix)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Oct 20 09:25:28 AEST 2017

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> /bin/maybe goes well with the motd that says “You might have mail.” I
> told one of my student programmers that he could put that in the motd
> and I guaranteed that within an hour someone would come in and tell me
> that he checked and he didn’t have mail.  Sure enough one of my senior
> programmers came in and said “It said I might have mail and I didn’t
> have any.” I pointed out it only said “might.”

Seriously, it could be used in test scripts, to see whether a test depends
implicitly upon a previous one, so if something fails it would be worthy
of investigation.

     Usage: maybe [p]

     Returns "true" (0) with a probability of "p" [0.0:1.0] (default: 0.5),
     else "false" (1).

C:	exit(**argv != 't');	// Assumes "t*" or not.