[TUHS] Last officially distributed and currently available BSD version

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Oct 23 01:18:29 AEST 2017

On 2017-10-22 00:38, Will Senn wrote:

<snip>

> Questions begging answers:
>
> What is the last bootable and installable media, officially
> distributed by Berkeley?

As I understood it, there were no bootable 4.4 BSD lite releases from
Berkley.  The 'lite' releases had the AT&T encumbered stuff removed and
not replaced, it wasn't a complete and functional OS.

> Is that image currently publicly accessible?
>
> What is the closest version, that is currently available, that would
> match the os described in "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4
> BSD Operating System"?

If you want something bootable, your closest bet is probably the 1.0
releases of Free[1] or NetBSD[2].

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX

[1] ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/
[2] ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-1.0/