[TUHS] Last officially distributed and currently available BSD version

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 23 01:31:37 AEST 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> On 2017-10-22 00:38, Will Senn wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Questions begging answers:
>>
>> What is the last bootable and installable media, officially
>> distributed by Berkeley?
>>

> As I understood it, there were no bootable 4.4 BSD lite releases from
> Berkley.  The 'lite' releases had the AT&T encumbered stuff removed and not
> replaced, it wasn't a complete and functional OS.

It had the 9 files that were trivial to replicate removed, yes.

> Is that image currently publicly accessible?
>>
>> What is the closest version, that is currently available, that would
>> match the os described in "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4
>> BSD Operating System"?
>>

> If you want something bootable, your closest bet is probably the 1.0
> releases of Free[1] or NetBSD[2].

Both FreeBSD and NetBSD took different approaches to getting a bootable
system, and to fixing many of the issues in 4.4BSD. While these are close,
the 386BSD releases from Jolitz might be closer still (though technically
based on net2 releases, the delta between that and 4.4 kernel I ).
http://gunkies.org/wiki/386_BSD has pointers to the releases (including
mirrors in TUHS). 386bsd.org doesn't seem to have them, though there's lots
of pointers to the Dr Dobb's articles.

Warner