[TUHS] Conceivably OT: 80s and 90s era CAD software

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Oct 23 17:06:04 AEST 2017

Actually it was the other way around. The BSD releases were based on earlier work by the ILO (Industrial Laison Office) of EE.  Remember the release of SPICE, SPLICE, MOTIS et al from the EE side predate any BSD release from CS.  Releasing code via ILO was started in the 60 by the real father of the ‘open source’ movement - the late Prof Don Pederson  aka dop by this students.

As dop used to say we always give away our SW because we get to go in the backdoor and really know what the industrial engineers are doing.  If I sell it (like my other alma mater - CMU liked to do) then I have to go in the front door like any other salesman.

Anyway when CS put together the original BSD (for 6th edition) the ILO was already there and had the mechanics to license and release things.  CS was part of EE and was able to just use the ILO which they did until CSRG was created a few years after 4.1BSD was released.

Clem

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.