[TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Sep 2 11:51:41 AEST 2017

> > On Sep 1, 2017, at 7:16 PM, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> >
> > Interesting. If O'Malley had a connection wonder what it was
> > connected too on both sides.  It had to be to lbl but the Vdh was a
> > piece of shit even in the ingvax days.  The first version was even
> > worse.  On the ucb side I wonder.  It would not have been Unix
> > because UofI did the original arpanet code and that was for v6.
> > There was never a pdp10 at ucb so I wonder if it was one of the CDC
> > machines which were the primary systems until Unix came to be.

Regarding the ARPA network at UCB, see ARPANET Completion Report at
http://walden-family.com/bbn/arpanet-completion-report.pdf PDF page 199
"ARPA NETWORK, LOGICAL MAP, SEPTEMBER 1973" shows LBL with 316-based
IMP. The next page (June 1974) shows it (LBL IMP) linked with UCB with a
PDP-11 "v".

I don't know the key for "v" but maybe means "very distant host" as
defined in Report 1822 Appendix F (PDF page 151 at
http://walden-family.com/impcode/BBN1822_Jan1976.pdf ), If that is what
it is, the BBN 1822 Section F.3.4 suggests "[e]ither an EIA RS232C
interface or the special Bell 303 [modem] interface can be used. Speeds
up to 230.4 kilobits/second are permitted. ... At the Host site there
will be a mating full-duplex modem."

"UCB" was removed from the Oct. 1976 map, but it still shows a PDP-11
"v" link. And the remote link removed from map in March 1977.

Allman told me the INGRES link was a "VDH (Very Distant Host) interface,
which was essentially a 9600 baud modem that took up most of a rack,
plus a rather large card that plugged into the UNIBUS on the PDP-11."

He also told me the Unix v6 Arpanet code was from San Diego. (I still
don't know about the earlier connection but I assume was not on Unix.)