[TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Sep 2 12:12:55 AEST 2017

    > From: "Jeremy C. Reed"

    > I don't know the key for "v" but maybe means "very distant host"

Yes. See:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/jpg/ARPANet/L77Dec.jpg

and look at the MIT-44 IMP (upper right center). It's listed as having a
PDP-11, with the /v, and that machine (LL-ASG, 1/44) was definitely on a VDH
(it was not in Tech Sq). (A VDH was basically an IMP modem interface
hardware-wise, but made to look like a host at a high level within the IMP
software.)

    > He also told me the Unix v6 Arpanet code was from San Diego.

Err, he may have gotten it from San Diego, but they didn't write the code, it
was written at UIll. See:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC

which contains a copy of the code, which came to me via NOSC in SD.

      Noel