[TUHS] Line Terminators in Text Files [Was: Re: Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language - Unearthed!]

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 4 12:58:02 AEST 2017

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Chris Torek <torek at torek.net> wrote:

> >That's not right.  Yes, the ASR33 runs at 110 baud (10cps), but all -
> >including mine and those of my friends -  take more like half a dozen
> >character times to perform a CR from the right hand side.
>
> Hm, OK.  I recall actually seeing the trick performed on
> *something* though.
>
> (I hooked up an old ASR 33 to someone's system with a current loop
> circuit at one point, plus a bit-bang driver, and I thought I
> remembered it being this particular ASR 33 on which I saw the trick,
> but it might have been something else.)

Time delay for physical movement of the print head is the main reason that
termcap has entries for the number of NUL characters to insert after
carriage return. Not sure it is for the ASR 33, but when it takes a while
for the carriage to return to column 1, you have to insert NULs to wait for
it to be ready to print characters. If it takes 100ms to do the return,
that's still 10 characters of NUL needed...

Warner