[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Sun Sep 10 19:44:25 AEST 2017

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Sadly no longer with us (he exited in 2011), he was forked in 1941.  Just
> think, if it wasn't for him and Ken, we'd all be running Windoze, and
> thinking it's wonderful.
>
> A Unix bigot through and through, I remain,
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

I just want to say that Dennis Ritchie was "a scholar and a gentleman".
He was always warm, polite, friendly, and down to earth, both in his
correspondance with me, and in direct conversation the few times I
talked to him in person at USENIX conferences.  He helped out A LOT
when I had Unix history questions for whatever books I happened to
be writing.

Not only to me, of course, but he was that way with everyone. He also
had a warm sense of humor, and was very active in the TUHS and Unix
history preservation.

He continues to be missed.

Arnold