[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Sep 14 09:22:52 AEST 2017

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> I just want to say that Dennis Ritchie was "a scholar and a gentleman".
> He was always warm, polite, friendly, and down to earth, both in his
> correspondance with me, and in direct conversation the few times I
> talked to him in person at USENIX conferences.  He helped out A LOT when
> I had Unix history questions for whatever books I happened to be
> writing.

He was at an AUUG conference in Sydney, and although I never got to shake
hands with him (he had too many fans around him, and I had a home and a
wife to go back to, not to mention two cats), he struck me as being the
perfect gentleman.  Mr. and Mrs. Ritchie, you raised a damned good son...

> Not only to me, of course, but he was that way with everyone. He also
> had a warm sense of humor, and was very active in the TUHS and Unix
> history preservation.

Agreed.

> He continues to be missed.

And I just wish that the Penguin/OS community would realise this; if you
believe those silly sods, you'd think that they invented Unix...