[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie! [ really sun vs dec/apollo --> X and NeWS ]

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Thu Sep 14 23:27:40 AEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Chet Ramey <chet.ramey at case.edu> wrote:

> On 9/14/17 8:13 AM, Rico Pajarola wrote:
>
> > True, I'm amazed every time I try a really old version of some old GNU
> > software like bash 1.0 on a contemporary (but unusual) OS. No errors, no
> > warnings, nothing to fix-up manually. It just works.
>
> If you have a version of bash-1.0, send it my way. We weren't quite as
> careful with preserving milestone software versions in those days.

it wasn't *exactly* 1.0

The oldest version I can find with by running "locate bash-1.0" on my
datagrave is version 1.05.

Do you keep an archive of old software somewhere? I spend a lot of time
hunting down old versions of 90'ies era software, but it's becoming
increasingly frustrating due to ftp services being turned down, especially
at universities.