[TUHS] Tools and building: libtool, autoconf, etc. [ trying to have a relevant subject line ]

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Sep 15 06:41:23 AEST 2017

On Sep 14, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:

> I don't have much love for the libtool/autoconf/automake/etc. system.
> While it works, and is better than nothing, I have always felt that
> it was the wrong approach.  I am fortunate that I know some of the
> folks who worked on these tools because they're part of the too complex
> for casual users thing that I mentioned in my earlier post about open
> source.

My days of wrestling with libtool/autoconf/automake/cmake are mostly
in the past. On FreeBSD/MacOS I use pkg/brew. For any new coding I
mainly use Go. Even cross compiled binaries just work. It has a very
well engineered ecosystem.

> There are two big advantages to handling portability this way.  First, the
> source code is easier to read; it's not full of #ifdef this and #ifndef that.
> Second, once the portability library existed it just worked and could be
> reused.  With the GNU tools methodology, every time someone needed to do a
> fopen on a machine where the target behaved differently, the alternate code
> needed to be written.  There was no debugged library where this stuff only
> had to be figured out once.

I agree with this. auto{conf,make}/configure is just the wrong approach.

At Real Networks our media server ran on 12 or so Unix platforms + windows +
macOS9 (at the time). I managed to corral machine dependent code in basically
a couple files for all but MacOS9. No #ifdefs in any other file. C++ also
helped to hide things like select(2) vs poll(2) from other code.