[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie! [ really sun vs dec/apollo --> X and NeWS ]

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Fri Sep 15 06:31:45 AEST 2017

On 2017-09-14 15:21, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> But of course, what is the alternative?

scons?  The main argument against it seems to be speed (or rather lack
of it).  The current version has a framework for build-time tests with
features quite similar to autotools.  Of course there are many fewer
pre-packaged tests, but in my experience the pre-packaged tests in
autotools are not all that useful, at least not for building on "modern"
systems; for the interesting platform differences one needs to write
custom auto* macros anyway.