[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie! [ really sun vs dec/apollo --> X and NeWS ]

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Sep 15 13:16:25 AEST 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Nemo wrote:

> Oh, I nearly wept when I read this.  Building a typical project nowadays
> is so painful -- the makefile works on one particular Linux distro and
> woe betide the rest.

Ah, well I remember when "make" was first introduced (in PWB?); I thought
it was Christmas...

Now, even it has to be modified for various platforms.

Trivia: what does "make love" say on your system?  My Mac boringly says
"make: *** No rule to make target `love'.  Stop." and the FreeBSD box
isn't much better: "make: don't know how to make love. Stop".  I don't
know what my Penguin laptop says because it's currently switched off.

Sigh...