[TUHS] PDP-10 UNIX?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Sep 18 23:50:50 AEST 2017

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> I have a C compiler for TOPS-10 that I got off the Internet back in 1988.
> Still haven't messed around with it enough to get it to run, but ...
>
> ​There was a PDP-10 C compiler in the late 1970s, that was kicking around
CMU, MIT and Stanford which we used to write backup10 and ​and an
implementation of tar.   IIRC, it was based on the the Ritchie front end
and was V6 in syntax (i.e. pre-V7 or typesetter C - aka 'White Book).
I've forgotten the rules of chars, but I remember you had to be careful.
I think it was 4 9-bit chars to transfer things (4*9=36 bits), but I think
I remember there were cases on output that it wanted to wash it through a
7-bit PDP-10 char (5*7+1 =36bits) which was the 'norm' for most languages
like SAIL, BLISS et al.

I did not mess with much, but that time, I was transitioning from the 10's
to UNIX by that time.   I added support for the -20's dumper tapes to
backup10 which were almost but not quite the same.  But that was the last I
messed with it.   Mike Accetta and Fil Aliva (of CMU Mach fame) I remember
had their had in that subsystem, at one point.  And of course Danny Klein
is always a good one from those days to ask too. I'll see if I can dig them
up and ask.