[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Sep 20 10:12:57 AEST 2017

What's your UNIX of choice to do normal "real" things these days?

Home file server (NAS), business stuff, develop code, whatever.

Mine is Solaris 11.3 at this point. Oracle has provided almost all the
"normal" utilities that are used by Linux folk, and it runs on Intel
hardware rather well. My main storage is a raidz2 of 24TB and I get
1.2GB/sec to a bunch of 3TB 512-byte-sector SAS drives.

It serves my vmware farm with iSCSI at 10gbe using COMSTAR, which also
houses a bunch of Solaris 11 guests that perform various chores. It also
houses some Linux and Windows guests for prototyping/testing. It's also
my Samba server, servicing a few Windows workstations.

This is all in my home office where I do all my personal/professional work.

What do you all use for day-to-day development and general playing
around with new stuff?

AAK