[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Sep 20 10:26:27 AEST 2017

xubuntu everywhere.  Laptops and my backup server.

BTW, I used to do external USB drives for backups, have zillions of
them sitting around unused now.  What I do now is I have a backup
server in my guest house (w/ gigabit cable to the house, wireless
was flakey) and two 4TB drivers as /backup1 and /backup2.  I just
do rsyncs to backup:/backup1/`hostname` and I've got all the stuff
backed up and I haven't filled a 4TB drive yet.  It's WAY more efficient
than going "oh, I've got a 500GB SSD in this laptop?  Let me create a
500GB partition for it."  because of:

/dev/sda1       462G  179G  260G  41% /

I need to mirror that 4TB to a cloud machine or a work machine so I have
offsite backups but it would take a pretty big mess for me to lose both
buildings.  It's possible, we live in forest fire country.

--
---