[TUHS] Another "craft" discussion topic - mindless tool proliferation

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Sep 20 14:26:30 AEST 2017

On 09/19/2017 07:02 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> +1.  Man pages should be short things that remind you how to run the program.
>  Putting a user guide in man pages is nuts, and in today's world texinfo is
> just as nuts.  Put it on the web and move on.  But don't give me the see
> texinfo man page, I hate that crap.

I have long told people trying to learn unix "Most people don't learn
from man pages.  Man pages are great reference after you know (some of)
<bla>."

I typically refer someone to online tutorials or start an in person /
email discussion with them about what they are trying to learn.  Usually
I try to tailor it to and / or reference things that I'm aware they are
familiar with.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die