[TUHS] Another "craft" discussion topic - mindless tool proliferation

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 08:58:13 AEST 2017

Hi Ted,

> Most of the core Unix utilities, even those coming from GNU, have real
> man pages, at least under Debian and Debian derivatives.  That's
> because Debian makes it the package maintainer's responsibility to
> provide a real man page if the package doesn't have one.

That used to be a boon, but these days I've often found the Debian man
page to be little more than --help output, done to close a bug against
the package and worse than nothing because its existence stops anyone
else having a go, including upstream as their program becomes more
mature.

IIRC ESR is saying RMS has agreed info format is dead and is trying to
get agreement from him where to go from there, but that's been the case
for a couple of years.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy