[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Thu Sep 21 02:59:07 AEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 09:25:02AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> I tried running my own server on mcvoy.com but eventually gave up, the
> spam filtering was a non-ending task.

I still run qmail, using a patch to pass everything through
SpamAssassin.  Remote IMAP is provided by courier-imap.  This setup has
been in place long enough that I can no longer remember originally
configuring it.

I experimented with moving to OpenSMTPD, but at the time it wasn't
flexible enough to manage spam filtering in a sane way.  I've read
matters have improved, and based on current descriptions it might be
worth revisiting.

Another relative newcomer is rspamd, which can take a lot of the pain
out of spam filtering.  Getting it integrated with my creaky old qmail
setup has been on my TODO for quite a while now.

> If someone has a plug and chug setup for MX I'd love to try it.

Sadly, while my setup has been rock-solid and I have no complaints,
there's nothing plug and chug about it.  The ability to quickly deploy a
new server is one of the things that originally got me looking at
OpenSMTPD, but filtering and user-controlled address creation a la
.qmail-files were showstoppers for me.

khm