[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Thu Sep 21 03:10:52 AEST 2017

Sendmail.

Since I got a business-class fiber connection from Verizon FIOS last
year, I've been tempted to really "roll my own" receiving mail server,
but haven't because of the SPAM issue.

Most of my main inbound email goes through Godaddy because I have an
umlimited (almost) hosting account with them. They filter 99% of the
SPAM and I'm happy with that. Let them deal with the updates and such.

I use fetchmail to pull down email from various other places - gmail
(I'm a subcontractor to someone), Godaddy, outlook.com, etc.

Outbound I push it through Godaddy again. Verizon recently cut their
mail service outbound for email outside of their root domain. Can't
blame them, they were probably being used to spam by customers' machines
that had been compromised.