[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Thu Sep 21 02:58:51 AEST 2017

A note on the PC hardware front:

Solaris 11+ has been doing very well for me on PC-based platforms for
quite a few years now. The drivers handle everything up to probably the
lastest-gen( minus 1) LSI or Emulex or any other disk/fiber controllers,
10Gbe Intel or Mellanox ethernet cards, and generally support enough USB
stuff to make it worthwhile for me - USB serial port adapters actually
DO wind up in /dev/cua ;)

The Intel processor support has been great w/NUMA aware scheduler (check
out lgrpinfo on a Solaris box) which is very useful for Oracle DB, and a
few other things I can't think of right now.

I don't use it for desktop though, except for Xvnc with a bunch of
xterms open so I don't lose my mind when my Windows workstation gets
more perpetual updates and I have to reboot it. Xvnc also helps to deal
with the inevitable Oracle GUI-based installations.

On 9/20/2017 5:15 AM, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> Not that I wouldn't like to be running some sort of "Real Unix®™©,
> keeping in mind that they're not usually a good fit for commodity PC
> hardware (even Solaris never really was, I don't think).

One thing I left out of my original post on this thread was that when I
say "Unix" - I include Linux in that. It's not, technically, and being
the anti-Linux snob that I am, I wouldn't include it in the term "Unix".
However, I left that up to the individual as to whether or not they want
to call Linux "Unix" ;)