[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Thu Sep 21 03:05:56 AEST 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> One thing I left out of my original post on this thread was that when I say
> "Unix" - I include Linux in that. It's not, technically, and being the
> anti-Linux snob that I am, I wouldn't include it in the term "Unix". However,
> I left that up to the individual as to whether or not they want to call Linux
> "Unix" ;)

Yeah, I clearly wasn't using that definition in my reply ;)

I'm pro-Linux (Linux as Linux, GNU is another matter), but "Linux Is Not
UniX", and I don't even consider any of the BSDs that (I'm even loath to
call OSX that and it's trademark-compliant!).  But that's just me. :P

To me "Unix" means either an ancestral AT&T variety, or a SysV derivative.

-uso.