[TUHS] Who is running their own mail server and what do you run?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Sep 21 03:47:26 AEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I tried running my own server on mcvoy.com but eventually gave up, the
> spam filtering was a non-ending task.

​for ccc.com - as a 40 year old domain  and a 3 letter one at that, spam
was never ending.  I gave up when Google asked me to beta test Google Apps
for business.   Now the cost of having them do it for me is so cheap, I
really can not justify running it myself.  Same for my DNS for my class C,
I moved it all upstream to easyDNS in Canada (great bunch BTW and pricing
is super).

Now I live downstream of a 1G fiber.   The Firewall is fairly hot because
of my domain, so many nut cases tap on it; but my logs show its been stable
for a long time since I have it locked down pretty tight.    At one time, I
had some of Ches's mapping stuff running that gave me a pseudo-real time
map of where the attacks were come each day (mostly script kiddies).  But,
we had a flood in the basement and that system got decommission since I got
bore looking at it.  I fear, those bits are rotted.

Anyway moving Mail and DNS upstream did clean up spam and while it did not
rid of the attacks, but it certainly let the primary defense be done at
places better set up to handle them me personally and I bought back much of
my day.

​