[TUHS] Sockets and the true UNIX [ actually carping about streams ]

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Fri Sep 22 02:37:02 AEST 2017

Clem Cole writes:
> dmr designed Streams to replace the tty handler.

I have never had any reason to dig into the streams code.  But there is one
part of the implementation that I hate, which is the way that data is lost
when switching between modules.  This most notably rears its ugly head when
using something like vi, hitting control-Z, and then typing a shell command.
The user has to pause because incoming characters get tossed when switching
from cbreak to cooked.  This has become less of an issue as machines have
gotten faster, but it still gets me if my system is extremely heavily loaded.

Jon