[TUHS] Sockets and the true UNIX

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Fri Sep 22 04:26:20 AEST 2017

On 9/21/17 12:10 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the two main System V based TCP/IP stacks were STREAMS
> based: the Lachman one (which I ported to the ETA-10 and to SCO Unix)
> and the Mentat one that was done for Sun.  The socket API was sort of
> bolted on top of the STREAMS stuff, you could get to the STREAMS stuff
> directly (I think, it's been a long time).

Here's an article describing the work Sun did (whether it started at Mentat
or not) to initially provide the socket interface on SVR4:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.29.7181&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It was my impression that they started with the BSD kernel implementation
and used it to create `socklib' and `sockmod'.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/