[TUHS] Another "craft" discussion topic - mindless tool proliferation

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Sep 22 04:39:24 AEST 2017

Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
 |Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
 |>> On Sep 19, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
 |>>
 |>> If you take a look at how perl handles its man pages, with 188 man
 |>> pages in section 1:
 |>
 |> ... you quickly recognize the difference between a manpage (i.e.
 |> reference page) and a user manual.
 |
 |I think it's a shame that the non-man-page parts of the Unix documentation
 |set have been neglected, in that you don't often get newer programs
 |following the style of the USD / SMM / PSD guides.

The problem being that even FreeBSD dropped them from the base
system.  I think only NetBSD still ships with it.  And Linux never
had that stuff anyway, only thanks to the dedicated Linux
man-pages project it is that you have anything usable at all (when
not sticking with the GLibC info manual).  I do not want to be
back in 1999 when i desperately searched for just about anything
but copyright notices in /usr/share/doc (or /usr/doc, i forgot),
and that should be /usr/share/copyrights still for most of the
things.

--steffen