[TUHS] Excessive bouncing ... argh!

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Sun Sep 24 02:27:54 AEST 2017

On 2017-09-23 16:57, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Why should anyone need to?  Of all the mailing lists I'm on, this one
> is the only one that has this problem.  For instance, on the NetBSD
> mailing lists, my email reaches other recipients "From:" my real email
> address, and SPF, DKIM, and DMARC all check out clean.  Here are the
> headers from a message I sent to a NetBSD list, as received by my own
> system (whereas the message I sent to the TUHS list last night was
> refused by my MTA):

Probably because the NetBSD list, unlike the tuhs list and most others,
doesn't mess with the headers or body in any way - not by attaching a
"helpful" tag to the Subject, and not by appending an xtra fake sig with
unsubscription info.

Either of these "modern" paractices will invalidate the source DKIM
signature, and so also trigger a DMARC reject if a strict policy is set.

By the way, my inbound processing automatically strips the Subject tag
before I get to see the messages.  It is useless.