[TUHS] Excessive bouncing ... argh!

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Sep 24 04:17:42 AEST 2017

> On Sep 23, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> This is actually the whole *point* of DMARC.  They want to make sure
> that if you see a from field of paypal.com, it means "paypal.com", and
> did not come from SCAMMER at MAKE.MONEY.FAST.NG.  So this is why DMARC
> apologists who argue that this could be fixed by having MUA's hacked
> so they display the X-List-From: field in the threaded mail summary
> are wrong.  If you do this, then Nigerian spammers will be able to use
> Paypal will end up pushing DMARCv2 (outside the IETF standards
> structures, just as DMARC is pushed outside of the standards bodies,
> but by big companies imposing their will on the rest of the Internet)
> to censor the X-List-From: field just as DMARC is trying to force
> mailing list reflectors to munge the From field.

Amen.

I hope this whole topic doesn't go off the rails – we've had enough of those on the list the past couple of weeks.

But I will note that, if the sites that enforce the fully-anal interpretation of DMARC start destroying the list, it's completely within the spirit of TUHS to migrate to a UUCP-only distribution.  (Note the deliberate absence of a smiley.)

--lyndon