[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Sep 26 01:45:49 AEST 2017

Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> I think a few changes can make Unix much more plan9 like.
> Things like: file descriptors are actually capabilities (or
> handles, for short) and each process starts with a set of
> handles and it can only reach those resources that its handles
> allow. It can also gain new handles via operations on existing
> handles. Right here you can see that a process is already
> sandboxed. You don't need containers or jails!

You can opt-in to this way of working by using the capsicum API,
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/capsicum/
but that's really intended for programs to discipline themselves rather
than as something pervasive.

Tony.
Portland, Plymouth, Biscay: Northwest 4 or 5, becoming variable 3 or 4 later.
Moderate or rough, becoming slight or moderate. Mainly fair. Moderate or good.