[TUHS] UNIX of choice these days?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Sep 27 00:41:55 AEST 2017

So maybe Ron Minnich will remember this.  Back in the days of 10Mbit
ethernet I was pushing for 100Mbit.  Part of what I wanted was ethernet
all the way out to the disk drives.  It was a little ahead of its time,
the idea was to run Linux on the general purpose processor and be able
to send the questions to the drive rather than slurping all the data
across and pawing through it on the main CPU.  That was part of the
idea, the other part was power over ethernet and you need more space?
Just plug in a drive.

It's been over 20 years since I proposed that and things are starting
to look up a little.  Western Digital made a version of what I wanted,
an ethernet attached drive with a key/value store on the drive.  Not
quite there but closer.  And I just stumbled across this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center_bridging

Not sure how well that will work but it's interesting that people are
working on it.

--
---