[TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Apr 9 09:34:03 AEST 2018

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I have this vague memory that the Internet-History list decided that the
> appropriate day was actually the day the format of the v4 headers was
> set, i.e. 16 June, 1978. (See IEN-68, pg. 12, top.)

I'm happy to be corrected if we can reach a consensus; history is written
by the victors, after all.

> Picking the date of RFC-1 seems a little odd. Why not the day the first
> packet was send over a deployed IMP, or the day the RFP was sent out, or
> the contract let? And the ARPANet was just one predecessor; one might
> equally have picked a CYCLADES date...

I saw the reference on one of those history sites, I think.  And I already
have the date of the first packet.  Again, updates to my list are always
welcome; I'm not pronouncing them ex-cathedra or anything...

> I myself prefer the formulation 'there are many white houses, but only
> one White House'! :-)

Yeah, well...