[TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Mon Apr 9 11:16:59 AEST 2018

On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 08:06:50PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:

> That BTW: the difference between ARPAnet to IP and IPv4 to v6 switch.

The other difference is that IPv4 was a well-designed protocol, where
IPv6 is a hodgepodge of harebrained pet projects.  Despite being tagged
version 6, it's the worst case of Second-System Effect I've ever seen in
my life.

Most sites I know of that have chosen to sit it out so far have done so
because it's a massive engineering lift with little discernable benefit;
it merely trades IPv4's problems for newer, experimental problems.

This is the same situation that keeps UNIX entrenched:  it's not
flawless, but we understand the flaws, and the core design is at least
comprehensible.

khm