[TUHS] /dev/drum

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Apr 24 03:51:07 AEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Ø  Well, I had known but forgotten in fact.  There's also a distinction
> between whether a system swaps/pages onto a dedicated device and whether it
> exposes that device by some special name in /dev.
>

> I’m pretty sure that swapping in V6 took place to a major/minor number
> configured at kernel build time.   You could create a dev node for the swap
> device, but it wasn’t used for the actual swapping.

​Exactly...   For instance an RK04 was less that 5K blocks (4620 or some
such - I've forgotten the actually amount).  The disk was mkfs'ed to the
first 4K and the left over was give to the swap system.   By the time of
4.X, the RP06 was 'partitioned' into 'rings' (some overlapping).  The 'a'
partition was root, the 'b' was swap and one fo the others was the rest.
Later the 'c' was a short form for copying the entire disk.

What /dev/drum did was allow to cobble up those hunks of reserved space and
view them as a single device.   I've forgotten what user space programs
used it, probably some of the tools like ps, vmstat *etc*.   You'd have to
look that the sources.​

ᐧ