[TUHS] 3330s, 3340s, Winchesters... (was: /dev/drum)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Apr 24 22:06:12 AEST 2018

    > From: Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>

    > Regarding the Winchester code name, I've argued about this with Clem
    > before.  Clem claims that the code name refers to various advances in
    > disk technology first released in the 3330's disk packs.  Wikipedia and
    > my own memory agree with you that Winchester referred to the 3340.

And you believe anything in Wikipedia? If so, I have a bridge to sell you! :-)

But, in this case, it's correct. According to "IBM's 360 and Early 370
Computers" (Pugh, Johnson and Palmer - a very good book, BTW), pg. 507, the
first Winchester was the 3340. The confusion comes from the fact that it had
two spindles, each of 30MB capacity, making it a so-called "30-30" system -
that being the name of Winchester's rifle.

     Noel