[TUHS] 3330s, 3340s, Winchesters... (was: /dev/drum)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Apr 25 10:47:34 AEST 2018

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at  8:06:12 -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> From: Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>
>
>> Regarding the Winchester code name, I've argued about this with Clem
>> before.  Clem claims that the code name refers to various advances in
>> disk technology first released in the 3330's disk packs.  Wikipedia and
>> my own memory agree with you that Winchester referred to the 3340.
>
> And you believe anything in Wikipedia?

Yes, most things, especially if they match my preconceived notions.

To be fair, Wikipedia is relatively accurate.  And if you find
something wrong in it and don't fix it, you have only yourself to
blame.

> If so, I have a bridge to sell you! :-)

Hey, that's my line ("Porting UNIX Software", page 9).

> But, in this case, it's correct. According to "IBM's 360 and Early
> 370 Computers" (Pugh, Johnson and Palmer - a very good book, BTW),
> pg. 507, the first Winchester was the 3340. The confusion comes from
> the fact that it had two spindles, each of 30MB capacity, making it
> a so-called "30-30" system - that being the name of Winchester's
> rifle.

There are competing stories about why it was called "Winchester".
Another I have heard was that it was developed at IBM's facility in
Winchester Boulevard in Campbell CA.  But the Wikipedia article only
gives the 30/30 version, so I suppose it must be right :-)

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.