[TUHS] /dev/drum

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Apr 25 22:18:24 AEST 2018

> On Apr 24, 2018, at 9:27 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>> Now, how many youngsters know the difference between paging and swapping?
>
> I'm a mere 52, but I believe paging is preferred over swapping.
>
> Swapping is an entire process at a time.
>
> Paging is just a page of memory at a time - like 4K or something thereabout.

Early pages were 1K.

The fun argument is what is Virtual Memory.    Typically, people align that with paging but you can stretch the definition to cover paging.
This was a point of contention in the early VAX Unix days as the ATT (System III, even V?) didn’t support paging on the VAX where as BSD did.
Our comment was that “It ain’t VIRTUAL memory if it isn’t all there” as opposed to virtual addressing.