[TUHS] /dev/drum

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Apr 25 23:39:39 AEST 2018

On 25 Apr 2018, at 13:18, Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Early pages were 1K.

Do systems with huge pages page in the move-them-to-disk sense I wonder?  I assume they don't in practice because it would be insane but I wonder if the VM system is in theory even willing to try.

Something I never completely understood in the paging vs swapping thing was that I think that systems which could page (well, 4.xBSD in particular) would *also* swap if pushed.  I think the reason for that was that, if you were really short of memory, swapping freed up the process structure and also the page tables &c for the process, which would still be needed even if all its pages had been evicted.  Is that right?