[TUHS] /dev/drum

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Thu Apr 26 00:02:05 AEST 2018

Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> writes:

> RK05’s were 4872 blocks.  Don’t know why that number has stuck with
> me, too many invocations of mkfs I guess.  Oddly, DEC software for
> some reason never used the last 72 blocks.

I guess that's because they implemented DEC Standard 144, known as
bad144 in BSD Unix.  It's a system of remapping bad sectors to spares at
the end of the disk.  I had fun implementing that for the wd (ST506)
disk driver in NetBSD, once upon a time...

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay