[TUHS] 3330s, 3340s, Winchesters... (was: /dev/drum)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Apr 26 00:15:36 AEST 2018

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
 |On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at  8:06:12 -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
 |>> From: Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>
 |>
 |>> Regarding the Winchester code name, I've argued about this with Clem
 |>> before.  Clem claims that the code name refers to various advances in
 |>> disk technology first released in the 3330's disk packs.  Wikipedia and
 |>> my own memory agree with you that Winchester referred to the 3340.
 |>
 |> And you believe anything in Wikipedia?
 |
 |Yes, most things, especially if they match my preconceived notions.
 |
 |To be fair, Wikipedia is relatively accurate.  And if you find
 |something wrong in it and don't fix it, you have only yourself to
 |blame.

It is not that easy.  For example there are people which "sit"
there for a long time.  Not all of them are good.  For example
i saw an absolutely inacceptible abstract on the jubilee of the
battle of the somme in german wikipedia, which would have been
correct only if russians lifes have not the same value than those
of others.  My own account is blacklisted because of the IP range
my reseller uses, and there are strange people here which do not
only soil nature, poison animals and drive races with their BMWs,
but they seem to soil Wikipedia, too.  (I never did so!)

Unfortunately the entire address range is blocked, i complained
but logging in with password is impossible.  (Seems to be the same
problem that Zoulas' blacklist daemon fixes so nicely by patching
daemons which know what a connection is about, with shell hooks
which then can manage the firewall.  Much, much better than having
a script iterating over textual server logs periodically.)
I could create a SSH tunnel to my server and connect from there,
though.  I have this option now.  So i could fix the german
wikipedia entries on the MBOX format etc., which seem to have been
written to prompt someone who cares and fixes the false.

On the other hand the german desk of the chemicals department have
even won a price.  (You know, german and chemicals is a love
story: nitrogen fertilizer, mustard gas, neonicotinoids ...  The
americans are not even to blame for monsanto anymore!)

--steffen