[TUHS] Origins of shell prompt suffixes % $ > #

KatolaZ katolaz at freaknet.org
Tue Aug 7 18:37:23 AEST 2018

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 06:23:37PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, Michael Kjörling wrote:
>
> > Hopefully other shells are more sane.
>
> The MacBook here runs GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release
> (x86_64-apple-darwin16) and is equally busted, as is plain "sh" on both the
> Mac and FreeBSD (I can't be bothered checking the Penguin); I use ZSH on
> FreeBSD and it does The Right Thing (tm), as does ZSH on the Mac.
>
> -- Dave

I have tried all the shells I have on my linux box. It turns out that
only ksh and zsh like a ";" at the beginning of the line. Otherwise,
bash, busybox, ash/dash, mksk, posh, and yash can't bear it.

I really don't see the point of using ";", especially if you need to
make it clear if a command needs to be run by root.

$ ;-P
sh: 1: Syntax error: ";" unexpected