[TUHS] Origins of shell prompt suffixes % $ > #

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Aug 7 20:45:37 AEST 2018

Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:

> I suspect I must stand corrected on this. Turns out that at least GNU
> bash 4.4.12(1) seems to not like a `;` at the beginning of the command
> line.

This is a consequence of the POSIX shell grammar, which doesn't allow
empty commands.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799.2013edition/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_10

The prompt I have used since about 1997 (and I can't remember where I got
it from - somewhere on Usenet, probably) in its most distilled form is

:;

although in practice I have a load of extra fluff for username, hostname,
CWD, etc. usw.

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes: South or southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 for a time.
Slight or moderate, occasionally rough for a time. Showers. Moderate or good.